Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Remarks on Gateway Trubute to Martin Luther King

In 2001, Mr. Guy Pridy organized a school wide tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King. His students in Gateway's Television Arts Club took the ball and ran with it to produce this wonderful video.

Staff members and students were interviewed, and the interviews were mixed with historical footage of Dr. King and the momentous events of the Civil Rights Movement. I was nervous about participating in the interviews. I was afraid I would get all tongue tied and embarrass myself in front of the entire school during the assembly. I am very glad that I overcame my initial reluctance and participated in this remarkable tribute to Dr. King. I was indeed nervous but didn't get tongue tied, and what I said became not only a tribute to Dr. King but also to my beloved grandparents, Rev. Elizabeth and Rev. Ralph Hand, as well, my Nanny and Ada. I am happy to have played a small role in this student driven project.

The famous "I Have A Dream" speech begins at 8 minutes into the video, and I give my remarks immediately after.

A special thanks goes out to Ben Contunado, who gave freely of his time and expertise to convert the DVD Mr. Pridy gave me in to files that I could upload onto YouTube.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ts9JOp7NI&feature=c4-feed-u

No comments:

Post a Comment